This is one of my favorite places on earth! My family had "cowboy breakfasts" and hiked around the hills and mountains frequently when we were kids. And now my family lives so close, I almost kick myself for not dragging them out here more often. I love the views of the valley, the mountains and the smell of the desert. This is home to me. On this evening we hiked about a mile on the hills and found the sundial that has been there for longer than I can remember. (That's what we're standing on!) Somethings have changed in the past 15-20 years. The houses are closer and a couple of playgrounds have been added. But for the most part, it is the beautiful desert I grew up in and I am so glad my kids get to grow up in it too! I love to teach them the names of the plants and the mountains. The other day I asked Noah what a certain cactus was, he said, "A cactus." "What kind of cactus?" I asked. He answered a smile, "A pokey cactus!" Oh well! I guess saguaro is a big word for a 2 year old to remember!
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Usery Pass Park
This is one of my favorite places on earth! My family had "cowboy breakfasts" and hiked around the hills and mountains frequently when we were kids. And now my family lives so close, I almost kick myself for not dragging them out here more often. I love the views of the valley, the mountains and the smell of the desert. This is home to me. On this evening we hiked about a mile on the hills and found the sundial that has been there for longer than I can remember. (That's what we're standing on!) Somethings have changed in the past 15-20 years. The houses are closer and a couple of playgrounds have been added. But for the most part, it is the beautiful desert I grew up in and I am so glad my kids get to grow up in it too! I love to teach them the names of the plants and the mountains. The other day I asked Noah what a certain cactus was, he said, "A cactus." "What kind of cactus?" I asked. He answered a smile, "A pokey cactus!" Oh well! I guess saguaro is a big word for a 2 year old to remember!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I feel bad how close we live and we don't take advantage of that wonderful place enough. Goo for you for taking your family and having a great time!
Yes you definitely have to love Usery Pass. I remember it but I think the cowboy breakfasts died down as I got older. I am glad you went with your family I bet you had a great time! I miss you a lot. But I am so glad that you are coming! It will be so good and fun to have you guys here! I can't wait! Eliza's kids will love it too. Love you tonz!
A pokey cactus huh? Too cute. Usery is a great family tradition, I need to get my butt our there more often, too. Especially before it gets too hot. Glad to see you guys out there enjoying it!
Looks like fun! I do miss the smell of the desert! Things brings back great old memories. Can't wait for you guys to come visit!
Post a Comment