So, last week Audrey had her first dance recital with BE School of Dance. In true fashion, she still needed a pair of tights which I ran to the mall to purchase. I left her with instructions to get everything else ready, dance bag, her lunch, so when I got home I could do her hair and make up and we could make it to dress rehearsal on time.
When I returned, I walked in the door to find Audrey scrambling to put her lunch together, still in her pajamas. (I don't doubt that she jumped when she heard the suburban pull into the driveway.) Ugh! We needed to leave in 15 minutes. I wanted time to ready her especially since she insisted on wearing foundation and I hadn't matched her shade yet. (This is one of those times being a Mary Kay Consultant comes in quite handy!) She finally came upstairs about 10 minutes later. (I had loaded some dishes in the dishwasher, advanced the laundry - putting in a new load and changed a diaper!) I applied her make up as I planned, match her foundation perfectly. Her hair, well, it was in a bun, not my forte. We were running late by 20 minutes. We picked up the carpool and were finally on our way.
I admit it. It felt good to be late. Nostalgic. Running late is almost a tradition. I wasn't worried. It added a sense of excitement. Besides, 95% of the time dress rehearsals run late. As was the case with this one I discovered when I asked Audrey when she came home for her dinner break.
It was a beautiful recital. Lots of little ballerinas. Audrey performed with her level 3 ballet class and her intermediate lyrical class. She did great! And she loved it. I'm bracing for next season when she wants to audition for company. Oh dear...
No comments:
Post a Comment